City of Mapleton, Minnesota 

Curling Capital of Southern Minnesota

Welcome to Mapleton


This information is provided to you to give you a brief update on services and regulations within the City of Mapleton.


Please contact City Hall if you have any questions 524-3492 or Mapleton Police Department at 524-3091.


Utility Bills from the City of Mapleton include water, sewer, refuse and recycling.  They are sent out quarterly, around the first of January, April, July and October.  Budget payments are available by paying 1/3 of bills by the 15th of each month.


Refuse- pickup is Friday.  Waste Management may be in town as early at 7:00 a.m.  Carts are available from Waste Management.  Contact City Hall if you would like a 35-gallon cart or a 64-gallon cart.  The carts themselves are free.  The quarterly cost to dump them are:  $27 for the 35-gallon or $33 for the 64-gallon cart.  For additional refuse, tags must be placed on the bags.  The tags may be purchased at City Hall for $2.00 per tag.


Recycling- curbside pickup is available every other friday


Compost- curbside pickup is available on the first Monday of each month from April thru November.  If you are using the curbside pickup, please have all material bagged, boxed or bundled.  The compost site is located on the west edge of town on Highway 30 on the north side of the road, just west of the Union Cemetery.  Watch for signs.  Only garden material, leaves, and tree branches that are 4 inch in diameter or smaller may be taken to the compost facility.


Dogs must be licensed in Mapleton.  The fee is $36.00 for a life time license as long as provide proof of rabies vaccination for each animal is kept current and documentation given to city.


Building Permits are necessary for all outside structure changes.  Please contact city hall before you begin any project to see if a permit is required.  The Planning and Zoning Board and the City Council must approve all permits before projects begin.


Sump pumps- all sump pumps shall have a discharge pipe.  Permits may be obtained from City Hall to discharge into the sanitary sewer from November 1st – April 1st each year.  All other times sump pumps must not discharge into the sanitary sewer.


Winter Parking- No parking is allowed on city streets until the streets are plowed curb to curb. If we receive 2 inches of snow or more we will call a snow emergency. To receive an email of the snow emergency, sign up on the city’s web page, www.mapletonmn.com .  Snow emergency notices are also posted on the city’s Facebook page.  Snow emergency notices are sent to the following radio stations:  KTOE, KYSM and KEEZ. 


Solicitors- it is unlawful for any person without a city license to go door-to-door attempting to sell goods.  Please contact the Mapleton Police Department if a solicitor comes to your home without a license.  (If unsure of the license call)


Snowmobile regulations- please check with city hall or the police department regarding use of snowmobiles within city limits.


Curfew for children under 18 years of age.  Sunday thru Thursday it is 10:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday night it is 11:00 p.m.  Please contact the Mapleton Police Department if you have any questions regarding curfew.


Roller blading, roller-skating, or skate boarding is not allowed on Main Street.  Please contact the Mapleton Police Department for full details.


Snow Removal-snow must be removed from public sidewalks within 36 hours.


Weeds- no parcel of land shall have noxious weeds greater than a height of 8 inches


Junk Motor Vehicle- it is unlawful to park, store or leave a junk motor vehicle within the city, vehicles must have current license tags and be operational.


Misc.  Information

  • City Council meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Fire Station
  • Planning and Zoning meets on the 2nd Monday of each month at 7:00 at the Fire Station
  • Town and Country Days – Mapleton’s annual celebration – is held the 2nd weekend of June
  • Burn’s Night is the Saturday closest to the 25th of January


General Utilities of Mapleton


Xcel Energy:  1-800-895-4999 for electricity

Consolidated Communications:  387-1151 for telephone, DSL Internet service, Digital TV

Verizon Wireless:  1-800-630-1234 for wireless service

Northwest Natural Gas:  524-4103

Post Office- 524-3688

U.S. Cable- 1-800-783-2356







104 2nd Avenue SE, 507-524-3492