City of Mapleton, Minnesota 

Curling Capital of Southern Minnesota

New to town?

This information is provided to give you a brief update on services and regulations within the City of Mapleton.

Utility Bills from the City of Mapleton include water, sewer, refuse and recycling. They are sent out quarterly, around the first of January, April, July and October. Budget payments are available by paying 1/3 of bills by the 15th of each month.

Refuse pickup is Friday. Waste Management may be in town as early at 7:00 a.m. Contact City Hall for either a 35-gallon or 64-gallon refuse cart.  The carts themselves are free.  The quarterly cost to dump them are:  $30 for the 35-gallon or $33 for the 64-gallon cart.  For additional refuse, tags must be placed on the bags. The tags may be purchased at City Hall at $10 for 5 tags.  

Recycling curbside pickup is available every other Friday. Waste Management may be in town as early at 7:00 a.m.  For further information please contact City Hall for what is recyclable.

Compost curbside pickup is available on the first Monday of each month from April thru November. If you are using the curbside pickup, please have all material bagged, boxed or bundled.  The compost site is located west of town on Highway 30 on the north side of the road, just west of the Union Cemetery. Watch for signs. Only garden material, leaves, and tree branches that are 4 inch in diameter or smaller may be taken to the compost facility.

Dogs and Cats must be licensed in Mapleton. The fee is $36.00 for a lifetime license and you must provide proof of rabies vaccination for each animal each time they are vaccinated. If records are not kept current you will be charged for a new lifetime license.

Building Permits are necessary for all outside structure changes. Please contact city hall before you begin any project to see if a permit is required. The Planning and Zoning Board and the City Council must approve all permits before projects begin.

Sump pumps - all sump pumps shall have a discharge pipe. Permits may be obtained from City Hall to discharge into the sanitary sewer from November 1st – April 1st each year. Sump pumps must not discharge into the sanitary sewer at any other time.

Winter Parking No parking is allowed on city streets until the streets are plowed curb to curb. To receive an email of the snow emergency, sign up on the city's web page, www.mapletonmn.com. Snow emergency notices are also sent on the City Facebook page.

Solicitors - it is unlawful for any person without a city license to go door-to-door attempting to sell goods. Please contact the Mapleton Police Department if a solicitor comes to your home without a license. (If unsure of the license call)

Snowmobile regulations- please check with city hall or the police department regarding use of snowmobiles within city limits.

Curfew for children between 13 and17 years of age is 11p.m. Children ages 12and under have a curfew of 9:00p.m. Please contact the Mapleton Police Department if you have any questions regarding curfew.

Roller blading, roller-skating, or skate boarding is not allowed on Main Street. Please contact the Mapleton Police Department for full details.

Snow Removal - snow and Ice must be removed from public sidewalks within 36 hours.

Weeds - no parcel of land shall have noxious weeds greater than a height of 8 inches

Junk Motor Vehicle - it is unlawful to park, store or leave a junk motor vehicle within the city, vehicles must have current license tags and be operational.

Misc. Information

City Council meets on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at Mapleton Fire Station.

Planning and Zoning meets as needed at the Mapleton Fire Station.

Town and Country Days- Mapleton’s annual celebration is held the 2nd weekend of June.

Burn’s Night is the Saturday closest to the 25th of January.

General Utilities of Mapleton

Xcel Energy:  1-800-895-4999 for electricity

Consolidated Communications:  387-1151 for telephone, DSL Internet service

Northwest Natural Gas:  524-4103 

Post Office: 524-3688

Mid Continent -Cable: 1-800-642-5509


104 2nd Avenue SE, 507-524-3492